Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Captain Nepto & Me by Creator Darryl Andrews

Nepto was my first "Super-hero" creation, therefore he had to be a REALLY big deal. Back in '81, I was reading every comicbook I could get my hands onto including: Batman, The Sub-Mariner, Spiderman, Moon Knight etc. I took the very best from every character and implemented it into him. I was just starting to learn about the value of own ego and was exercising some escapism with this character. Over the years, Nepto has always been progressive; never static. I attribute this to my own life as it mirrored constant change and no true defination. Nepto would change costumes like I would change personalty traits [drop one, pick up another]. With Nepto I could change his appearance, his powers, his orgin and offer no explanation. I tried to do the same thing with my life many times, simply by not offering any explanation for sudden personality or direction changes in my life. I wouldn't allow myself ownership over anything and frustrated all around me with how sudden I could change my stance on what to some were very important issues. All these years later, Nepto is still a work in progress. There is no character sheet that would illustrate exactly who he is. I have to think after all these years that notion was appealing to me [no simple defination], frustrating to everyone else, but right or wrong, a life coping skill I've transfered to my hero.
To learn more about Nepto's creator please visit:
http://worldofdarryl.blogspot.com/

No comments: